Written by Trenton Lee Stewart and published in 2007, The Mysterious Benedict Society is the story of four genius-but-loveable misfits who respond to an ad in the paper asking:
“ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?”
Kate, Reynie, Sticky and Constance are strangers until they’re selected as the brightest and most promising minds chosen for an important undercover assignment at The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened. The children set off on a dangerous mission which promises to challenge their incredible intelligence and resourcefulness. They must confront physical AND mental challenges, all the while relying on each other.
Here’s what beloved author Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The 39 Clues) had to say about it:
“Great cast of characters, lots of cool puzzles and mysteries. This book reminded me of some of the better children’s books I grew up with, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Phantom Tollbooth.”Rick Riordan, American author
What I Liked About This Book:
- The characters are well-developed and readers will quickly make connections
- It’s a series – but this book stands alone if you aren’t into a series. (Kids love them though!)
- “Are You Mysterious Benedict Society Material?” quiz in the back of the book
- Extremely engaging for readers who enjoy testing their wits, solving puzzles
- It’s available in paperback and audio
- Great read aloud for teachers of third grade and up
Do you have a road trip in your future this summer, this book will definitely occupy children who are proficient readers. If you have specific questions about the book, send me an email and I’ll be glad to elaborate. Or you can learn more and read an excerpt by clicking here.